Thursday, March 15, 2012

In Honor of Lent, I Give You: Herb-Crusted Grilled Tuna Steak

Happy Friday!  It's not Friday?  Oh.  Well d@mn.


I'm so in the mood for Friday, I'm going to post a perfect Friday dinner recipe for you today--perfect for Friday because if you observe Lent (which actually, I do not, but still), traditionally, as observers, you should refrain from eating any meat on Fridays with the exception of fish.  Hey, don't groan.  At least you don't have to fast like back in the day.  =)

Kind of boring article but this link offers a great explanation of Lent and all its intricacies.

Now that you have your daily religious reading out of the way, let's move on!



Because I do not participate in Lent (and I only
skimmed the article above), I have no idea if red wine
is appropriate for Lent, but I won't tell if you won't!

First, I want to point out the beautiful hatched grill marks on the Tuna.  Didn't the hubby do an excellent grilling job?!  My favorite part of warmer months is that all I have to do (for food prep/cooking) is season meats and veggies and pass them off to the hubby for grilling.  It makes up for "all the slaving away" at the stove (and CrockPot) I do during the winter months.  I joke.  I actually love cooking and am by no means chained to the kitchen in the winter, but it is nice to get a break every now and then.  Now to the recipe at hand!

This amazing recipe is actually adapted from one I received while doing the Standard Process Purification Program back in 2009.  If you've ever done this program the proper way--through a nutritionist who signs you up in the Standard Process programs--you are matched up with a consultant who e-mails you daily during the process with handy information like what you can and can't eat on any particular day, what you should be experiencing along the way, and a delicious recipe.  So, with all of that said, this was one of those recipes for days 11-21 of the cleanse (the part when you can finally eat meat and fish).  I, of course, have adapted it to meet my personal tastes, but the original recipe came from one of the consultants with Standard Process.

Before I actually provide the recipe, though, I would like to say that I was NOT a fish person before the cleanse.  I actually hated everything fish, and I still hate bottom feeders (Tilapia, Catfish, etc.) and Salmon.  Instead, I am a firm believer in fresh, deep sea whitefish (Tuna, Cod, Sea Bass, etc.).  These fish have a more steak-like consistency and (if it's good fish) does not have any kind of hint of fish flavor or scent.  I now eat whitefish at least once a week!

This recipe was actually the very first fish recipe I tried because it was recommended to me by my consultant because it's the most "steak-like" fish you can get.  Tuna steaks cook like steak (best rare, of course), cut like steak, and feel like steak in your mouth, in case you're a "texture" person.  So, before you knock it because it's fish, try this recipe!


Herb-Crusted Grilled Tuna Steak

Ingredients
4 - 8oz. Fresh Ahi Tuna Steaks (sushi grade so you don't have to worry about not cooking it long enough)
3 sprigs Fresh Rosemary, removed from stem and chopped 
(Note:  Fresh really does make all the difference people, suck it up and grow it or buy it)
Handful of Flat-leaf Parsley, chopped
4 cloves Fresh Garlic, minced
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper, Sea Salt, and EVOO


Directions
-  Rinse and pat steaks dry
-  Combine chopped rosemary, parsley, and garlic
-  Rub EVOO on each side of the steaks, just enough to coat each side, and sprinkle herb mixture on each side of the fish, and finish with fresh cracked sea salt and pepper
-  Grill tuna steaks over a medium high heat grill for approximately 3-5 minutes on each side

Note:  If you get sushi grade tuna steaks (same goes for good cuts of beef), you do not have to worry about cooking the meat any certain amount of time (like chicken or pork).  I like my tuna and beef steaks both with a cold, red center (rare or blue at some upscale restaurants), so I opt for about 2.5-3 minutes on either side, but if you want that fish white and that beef brown/black, up the cooking time closer to 5 minutes on either side.

Another Note:  If you don't have the luxury of an outdoor grill, it's not a nice day to grill, or you'd rather cook inside, you can easily prepare this steak on a Panini Press or indoor grill.  You don't get that outdoor-grilled flavor, but you'll get over it, I'm sure.  =)


Enjoy and eat your fish!  It's good for you and tasty (when prepared properly)!

No comments:

Post a Comment