Thursday, June 14, 2012

Slow Cooker Pork Tenderloin

Dottie Approved Meal

Life is crazy and crazy busy.  I don't have time to slave over a stove for 4 hours whipping up delicious meals every day.  I may get to do that once in a blue moon but not usually, which is why my CrockPot is my best friend in the kitchen.  With just 5 minutes of prep time and 4-6 hours of cooking, you have an amazing meal that will feed you and 7 of your closest friends (or feed you 8 times)!


Today's recipe is one that I adapted from AllRecipes.com.  It takes a pork tenderloin, four or five other ingredients, and a little patience, but it's so worth it!


First, you'll want to gather your ingredients together (onion soup mix, fresh garlic, red wine, soy sauce, and spices).


There aren't going to be many photos because I actually
forgot to photograph until the very end...

Then, you dump everything into your slow cooker and cook on high for 4-6 hours or until the pork roast is to your liking!


Yeah, I know... it looks terrible, but I promise it's delicious!

Once the pork roast was finished cooking, I just sauteed up some green beans and threw in a bag of the Ore Ida Steam 'n Mash frozen potatoes and we were in business!

Slow Cooker Pork Tenderloin
Adapted from AllRecipes.com

Ingredients
-  3 lb. Pork Tenderloin
-  1 pkg. Onion Soup Mix
-  1 cup Water
-  4-6 cloves Fresh Garlic
-  1 cup Red Wine (I like 3 Dreams Merlot or Chandon Pinot Munier)
-  1-2 tbsp(s). Soy Sauce
-  To Taste:  Other spices* including Fresh Ground Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, etc.
-  Optional:  2 tbsp. flour or cornstarch

*You don't need to add any more salt because the soy sauce will take care of the saltines for you!

Directions
-  Place the pork tenderloin in the slow cooker.
-  In a bowl, combine the soup mix, seasonings, garlic, water, and soy sauce.
-  Pour the mixture over the pork tenderloin, and cover with your lid.
-  Cook on high for 4-6 hours (depending on how you like your roast).
-  Once your roast is finished cooking, you can take it out and either cut it up or use two forks to shred the meat.

Note: Once your roast is out of the pot, you can either serve the juice as an au jus, or you can make a gravy by combining 2 tbsp. flour or cornstarch in a shaker with a few spoonfuls of the juice, shaking vigorously until the flour and juice have been combined, then pour the mixture into the pot and make sure the temperature is still set to high, stirring continuously so the flour doesn't separate.  After about 10 minutes, your juice will become slightly thicker and you can use it as a gravy over your meat and potatoes.

As I mentioned above, this recipe is great when served with a vegetable and a potato, but you can also use it as filling for pork sliders or roasted pork tacos.  The uses for this recipe are nearly limitless.  I used the leftovers to add to salad, which went very well with a balsamic vinegar dressing.

Also, another thing to note is make sure you use a good quality wine.  A $5 bottle of wine isn't going to do the trick.  You don't have to go all-out, but choose a wine that is moderately priced ($10-25) and you know to be good quality.  I actually like the flavor that the Merlot gives this recipe, even though I don't typically drink Merlot, but use a red wine that you enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. sounds so yummy and super easy, will have to try, once I unpack my crock pot, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so remarkably easy! :) I think it's also a pretty versatile recipe as well... my husband was downing pork sliders, pork tacos, and I even snuck in a salad without him complaining! :)

      Good luck with the unpacking! :)

      Delete